During the week of March 6–10 there was a global explosion of open education activity and incredible events – there were 431 total contributions to OE Week 2023. Eleven years of OE Week, and this one was the best so far (but more on that later!). It was a fantastic community event.
Thank you to all those who contributed and participated, sharing their passion for Open Education during March.
OE Week 2023 in review
Everybody loves statistics, so here are some for Open Education Week 2023 – there were:
- 174 freely licensed education resources or assets were shared
- 257 events were hosted in
- 38 countries and in
- 18 languages!
- 34% of all contributions were shared by 51 OE Global Members (see their events here)
- 12,621 participants are estimated to attend from 144 countries.
- 3 webinars were hosted by CCCOER‘s executive council members.
- 97 discussions were started in OEG Connect, which received 35,000 views from 12,245 OEG Connect registered users and 22,769 non-registered visitors.
- 12 sessions of OE Week LIVE! held conversations with 45 open educators in English, Spanish and Portuguese.
- 2 live OEG Voices sessions were recorded.
- 2,662 Tweets were generated about OEWeek sharing 2,590 links to events and discussions.
If you were a contributor, don’t forget to claim your digital OEWeek badges!
Relive the OE Week experience
Like all things open education, OEWeek never truly ends! Everything has been recorded and collated for you to access when needed.
- Discussions are still ongoing at OEG Connect!
- The review of each day, as it happened, can be found here.
- Watch the 46+ sessions on OEWeek 2023 playlist (and add your videos here).
- Watch the OEWeek LIVE! sessions on YouTube.
- An OEG Voices session was recorded with Tetiana Kolesnykova discussing the extraordinary Open Resilience of Librarians. Listen to it here.
- An OEG Voices session was recorded with Delmar Larsen chatting about the LibreVerse. Listen to it here.
Where are you on the map?
Reflections from Open Education Week contributors
The very best aspect of Open Education Week is that it is a week of celebration by open educators for open educators – below are some of the articles written by organizations and open educators around the world!
- UNESCO:: Open Education Week shines a light on implementing UNESCO OER Recommendation best practices (20 March 2023)
- Open Education Week: How Moodle supports Open Education for a transformative future
- How Moodle supports Open Education Week 1
- Using an open textbook: Q&A with Dr. Christopher Hamaker – News – Illinois State
- Monday, March 6, 2023 | Daily Bulletin | University of Waterloo | Welcome to Open Education Week
- Thursday, March 9, 2023 | Daily Bulletin | University of Waterloo | Open Education Week Series: “Tell Me ‘Bout the Good Old Days”
- Friday, March 10, 2023 | Daily Bulletin | University of Waterloo | An Open Educational Resource for the Canadian Economy
- New grant program to support faculty adoption of open educational resources – The Brock News
- Washtenaw Community College students saved $10 million with open resource program
- University of Kentucky Libraries accepting faculty proposals for 2023 Alternative Textbook Grants Community news briefs — March 15, 2023 | Sequim Gazette
If you participated in #OEWeek23, you were part of a global celebration of open education in March. Thank you! See what other open educators got up to:Tweet
On OEG Connect, you can chat with colleagues and discuss what is important to you. If you have more OE Week activities, information or successes to share, please let us know by clicking on the reply button below to share!